Experimental Animal Rooms – Slovak Medical University Bratislava
In 1995 this workplace obtained „Statement of Good Laboratory Praxis Compliance“ certified by Slovak National Accreditation Service.
Since 1995 it has authorization to use laboratory animals in experiments certified by State Veterinary and Food Administration of the Slovak Republic.
Experimental animal rooms were built in 1992. The complex has 4 parts:
- Specific Pathogen Free Unit
- Conventional unit and surgery
- Virology animal room / GMO animals/
- Aquatic laboratory
Documentation in experimental animal rooms
- Principles of Good Laboratory Praxis: operating procedures carried out in experimental animal rooms (accepted by Slovak National Accreditation Service).
- Study plan: project of individual experiments which use laboratory animals (accepted by State Veterinary and Food Administration of the Slovak Republic)
Standard Operating Procedures
Housing and animal care
Animals are put in standard polypropylene cages in a suspended cage rack system (mouse, rat, guinea pig) and standardized cages (rabbit) according to species, sex and body weight of animals (minimal housing area for animals is prescribed by regulation No 231 Ministry of Agriculture of the SR).
Feeding and watering
Diet is supplied to the animals in a feeder – usually ad libitum. Food must be dry and cannot be used after expiration date. Using any other food is strictly forbidden. Fresh water is supplied to animals continuously ad libitum.
- Animals are transported from established supplier
- After arrival, animal care staff receive animals and take them to the animal facility. Newly arrived animals are examined by laboratory veterinarian within 3 days of arrival to asses their health status
- Animals are housed separately (male mice ) or five per cage (rat, female mice)
- Animal care staff marks the cages with the cage cards with the name of investigator and date of arrival of animals
- Animal care staff secure feeding and watering of arrived animals
- Director of animal care informs the principal investigator about arrival of animals
- Control of animal rooms – twice a year
- Control of food – mycological and bacteriological examination
Disinfection of animal rooms
- Principles of disinfection – mechanical cleaning and respective disinfection
- Preparation of room before experiment
- Sanitation of room during experiment
- Sanitation of room after the end of experiment
- Application form for ordering of animals
- Registration card of laboratory animal
- Registration of daily work of animal care personnel
- Records of sensors
- Bacteriological control
- Records about feed consumption
- Training of personnel
- Records about institutional inspection of GLP principles
- Results of sick animal examination
- Photocopy of the acquisition register,
- References of the Veterinary organisation
- Operating instructions of experimental facilities,
- Approved projects of experiments
- Personal written delegation for responsibility of experimental animal keeping
- Creation of the ethical committee
- Animal source records
Regional Veterinary Administration Inspection and report about the number of used animals and the character of animal experiments (once a year)
The database CADIMA (Central Access Database for Impact Assessment of Crop Genetic Improvement Technologies) contains quality assessed studies and conclusions on the health effects, socio-economic consequences and environmental impacts of GM plants as well as raw data of animal feeding studies and alternative in vitro approaches.