Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (INRA), France
A major objective of INRA is to improve the quality and safety of foods. Its fields of expertise include:
- the study of qualitative and quantitative structure-activity relationship of food proteins and peptides;
- the impact of diet and food processing on the digestibility of (novel) proteins as those expressed in GMOs and the effect on their potential health adverse effects.
Immunoanalytical and physico-chemical methods as well as in vitro tests and in vivo studies are established for the characterization of food proteins and derived fragments and the assessment of their biological activity in GRACE. Research works are conducted through collaborative national and international projects including numerous EU funded projects (e.g. AIR, FLAIR, Copernicus, FP5, FP6 programmes).
- Jean-Michel Wa
- Karine Adel Patient
- Hervé Bernard
Jean-Michel Wal is head of the Unité d'Immuno-Allergie Alimentaire (UIAA) and in charge of the organization and coordination of the scientific work. He also serves as an expert in several Scientific Committees in charge of food safety (e.g. Member of the former EU Scientific Committee of Food and currently of the GMO Panel of the European Food Safety Authority).
Karine Adel Patient is a senior scientist in charge of developing in vitro digestibility tests and for the assessment of the immune reactivity of processed foods and their digesta and for in vivo studies that include the follow up of absorption, biotransformation and elimination of food proteins and reactive fragments after oral administration.
Hervé Bernard is a senior scientist in charge of development of immuno-assays and physico chemical methods (e.g. chromatography, mass spectrometry) for determination and characterization of food proteins, their transformation products in (processed) food matrices and digesta and in blood or urine when orally ingested by human volunteers.
- Mandalari G, Adel-Patient K, Barkholt V, Baro C, Bennett L, Bublin M, Gaier S, Graser G, Ladics GS, Mierzejewska D, Vassilopoulou E, Vissers YM, Zuidmeer L, Rigby NM, Salt LJ, Defernez M, Mulholland F, Mackie AR, Wickham MS, Mills EN (2009) In vitro digestibility of beta-casein and beta-lactoglobulin under simulated human gastric and duodenal conditions: a multi-laboratory evaluation. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol; 55(3):372-81
- Guimaraes VD, Drumare MF, Ah-Leung S, Lereclus D, Bernard H, Créminon C, Wal JM, Adel-Patient (2008) Comparative study of the adjuvanticity of Bacillus thuringiensis Cry1Ab protein and cholera toxin on allergic sensitisation and elicitation to peanut, Food Agric Immunol; 19(4): 325-37.
- Guimaraes V, Drumare MF, Lereclus D, Gohar M, Lamourette P, Nevers MC, Vaisanen- Tunkelrott ML, Bernard H, Guillon B, Créminon C, Wal JM, Adel-Patient K (2010) In vitro digestion of Cry1Ab proteins and analysis of the impact on their immunoreactivity, J Agric Food Chem; 58(5):3222-31.
- Adel-Patient K, Guimaraes VD, Paris A, Drumare MF, Ah-Leung S, Lamourette P, Nevers MC, Canlet C, Molina J, Bernard H, Créminon C, Wal JM (2011) Immunological and metabolomic impacts of administration of Cry1Ab protein and MON810 maize in mouse, PLoS ONE, 6(1), e16346.
- Bossios A, Theodoropoulou M, Mondoulet L, M Rigby N, Papadopoulos NG, Bernard H, Adel-Patient K, Wal JM, Mills ENC, Saxoni-Papageorgiou P (2011) Effect of simulated gastro- duodenal digestion on the allergenic reactivity of beta-lactoglobulin, Clinical and Translational Allergy; 1:6.
- Julius Kühn-Institut, Bundesforschungsinstitut für Kulturpflanzen (JKI), Germany
- Agrobioinstitute (ABI), Bulgaria
- Aarhus University (AU), Denmark
- Center for European Policy Studies (CEPS), Belgium
- Centre for Research in Agricultural Genomics (CRAG), Spain
- Eidgenössisches Volkswirtschaftsdepartement, EVD-ART, Switzerland
- Freie Universität Berlin (FU), Germany
- genius GmbH – Science and Communication, Germany
- International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), Italy
- Interdisziplinares Forschungszentrum für Technik, Arbeit und Kultur (IFZ), Austria
- Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (INRA), France
- Perseus bvba (Perseus), Belgium
- RIKILT-Institute of Food Safety (RIKILT), The Netherlands
- Sweet Environmental Consultants (SEC), UK
- Slovak Medical University (SMU), Slovakia
- Technische Universität München (TUM), Germany
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), South Africa
- United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service (USDA-ARS), USA
- Bundesamt für Verbraucherschutz und Lebensmittelsicherheit (BVL), Germany