International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), Italy
The ICGEB is an intergovernmental organisation providing centres of excellence for advanced scientific research and training with special attention to the needs of developing countries. The Centre trains personnel with the capability to undertake risk assessment and orchestrate risk management posed by GMOs, playing a central role in capacity-building and technology transfer in GMO biosafety. The ICGEB's Biosafety Unit provides support of local biosafety capacity-building initiatives, through direct commissions from the respective government ministries. In addition, it underpins this capacity building work through the dissemination of significant scientific and technical information, principally via its specialised online tools:
- BI[BLI]OSAFETY, a searchable database containing a collection of more than 10,000 records of scientific studies on biosafety and risk assessment, and
- the RISK ASSESSMENT SEARCHING MECHANISM (RASM), a collection of online risk assessment documents related to official government decisions concerning the commercial release of GMOs.
- Decio Ripandelli, Director, Administration and External Relations, Head of Biosafety Unit
- Wendy Craig, Biosafety Unit
- Martina Vivani, Programme Assistant, Administration
- Devos Y, Craig W, Schiemann J (In press). Transgenic crops, risk assessment and regulatory framework in the European Union. Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology.
- Craig W, Araya-Quesada M, Lewandowski R, Degrassi G, Ripandelli D (2010). An overview of online databases and web-based resources related to the biosafety of genetically modified crops. Collection of Biosafety Reviews 5: 112-142.
- Craig W, Tepfer M, Degrassi G, Ripandelli D (2008). An overview of general features of risk assessment of genetically modified crops. Euphytica 164: 853-880.
- Craig W, Tepfer M (2007). Introduction to the safety/risk assessment of GM crops. Journal of Agricultural Investment 5: 36-42.
- Craig W, Lewandowski R, Degrassi G, Ripandelli D (2007). How well is Environmental Biosafety Research supporting the scientific debate on the biosafety of genetically modified organisms (GMOs)? Environmental Biosafety Research 6: 161-165.
- Julius Kühn-Institut, Bundesforschungsinstitut für Kulturpflanzen (JKI), Germany
- Agrobioinstitute (ABI), Bulgaria
- Aarhus University (AU), Denmark
- Center for European Policy Studies (CEPS), Belgium
- Centre for Research in Agricultural Genomics (CRAG), Spain
- Eidgenössisches Volkswirtschaftsdepartement, EVD-ART, Switzerland
- Freie Universität Berlin (FU), Germany
- genius GmbH – Science and Communication, Germany
- International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), Italy
- Interdisziplinares Forschungszentrum für Technik, Arbeit und Kultur (IFZ), Austria
- Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (INRA), France
- Perseus bvba (Perseus), Belgium
- RIKILT-Institute of Food Safety (RIKILT), The Netherlands
- Sweet Environmental Consultants (SEC), UK
- Slovak Medical University (SMU), Slovakia
- Technische Universität München (TUM), Germany
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), South Africa
- United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service (USDA-ARS), USA
- Bundesamt für Verbraucherschutz und Lebensmittelsicherheit (BVL), Germany